building valuations


Deteriorating brickwork

cement re-pointing can provide help and advice with regard to building surveys, structural surveys, home buyers reports, independent valuations, property surveys, structural reports, engineers reports, specific defects reports for things such as problems with chimneys, flashings, bricks, mortar, pointing, roofs, insulation, dampness, or any other property matters.

As you can see from this article we use photos and sketches in all of our reports and the the feedback we have from our clients is that the sketches and photos help them to really understand the reports.

We, of course, like to meet you at the property during the survey and we are more than happy to talk to you about the reports. Please free phone 0800 298 5424 for a friendly chat with one of our surveyors.


Cement mortar causing problems

Cement mortar causing problems

A problem that we are coming across more and more frequently is deteriorating or spalling to the face of bricks. We commonly find this to be to the softer red brick, often found on Georgian and Victorian properties, and predominately pre-First World War properties. The deterioration of the brickwork can look terrible and unfortunately the problem has often compounded by the brickwork that has spalled or deteriorated being repaired with a cement mortar. This then gives, what we can only describe as, a spotted dog look to the property, with the red bricks having lots of cement repairs to the brick.


Lime mortar to cement mortar, the revolution

Example of pointing to brickwork

Cement mortar was introduced in the late 1940's (we believe it was 1949). This mortar has completely different properties to lime mortar, being much larger and more brittle. Whilst it works well on modern construction it doesn't work well on older properties, which are meant to breathe. We always say that a modern property works more like a cagoul, i.e. as a raincoat on the outside, whereas an older property works much more like goretex, which breathes.




What is going wrong? Why are the bricks deteriorating?

Deteriorating brickwork with cement mortar repairs Originally, the bricks would have been built in a lime mortar, usually in what is known as Flemish brick bond or garden wall bond. When it rains the rain gets partly soaked in by the wall and the lime mortar. Then it dissipates and is released from the brickwork and lime mortar. Over the years this can, in some cases, lead to a weathering or wearing of the mortar, which can then give ledges for the rainwater to sit on and cause dampness to come through into the property.
Deteriorating red brickwork; note the cement repairs to the right hand side, which are only going to make things worse


Repairs to lime mortar pointing

Spalling to the face of brickwork caused by cement pointing Unfortunately, the repointing that has taken place in many lime mortar walls, and in fact we would go as far as to say the majority of what we see, are in a cement mortar, rather than the original lime mortar. This means that the cement mortar, due to its different constituencies, acts as a plug and stops any rainwater or dampness coming out of the wall. This then leads to the dampness coming out on the surface of the brick, which in turn causes it to spall or deteriorate, as can be seen in the adjoining photo.
The spalling face of the red brickwork caused by the cement pointing
Free phone 0800 298 5424


Surveying Articles

You may be interested in our other articles about issues with walls including cracking to walls:


Structural Cracking

How, in our experience, Insurance Companies deal with Cracks in Properties

Cracks in my Wall

Wall Tie Problems

Cavity Wall Problems

Repairing Cracks

Structural Reports

Estimating Building Costs

Cracking to my plaster

My property has been repointed in a cement mortar, what can I do?

Please see our section on:

Information on Engineers Reports

Specific Defects Reports

Dampness Articles


If you truly do want an independent expert opinion from a surveyor with regard to structural surveys, building surveys, structural reports, engineers reports, specific defects report, dilapidations, home buyers reports or any other property matters please contact 0800 298 5424 for a surveyor to give you a call back.

If you have a commercial property, be it leasehold or freehold, then you may wish to look at our Dilapidations Website at and for Disputes go to our Disputes Help site .

We hope you found the article of use and if you have any experiences that you feel should be added to this article that would benefit others, or you feel that some of the information that we have put is wrong then please do not hesitate to contact us (we are only human).

The contents of the web site are for general information only and is not intended to be relied upon for specific or general decisions. Appropriate independent professional advice should be paid for before making such a decision.

All rights are reserved the contents of the web site is not to be reproduced or transmitted in any form in whole or part without the express written permission of


building engineers



Home Buyers Reports Property Surveys - why we're the best. Engineers Reports
© Copyright
Site Map

1stassociated-logo-for-footer IVSA-badge IVSA-putting-client-first call-us-for-footer

We have thousands of free property articles to help you - or call us freephone on 0800 298 5424

We have been working in the property industry for many years and have been
providing free property articles for over ten years. All for free and to help you with buying your next property.

House and Home Surveys and Useful Information

All you need to know about Building Surveys

Building Control, what do they do?

Designers and Architects will they save me money or will they cost me money

Enviroment, Your Building and Garden Gnomes

Estate Agents help sell houses and work for the vendors

Have a Structural Survey to protect you against structural problems

Home improvements, builder problems and ideas for you on how to solve them

How a Surveyor values a property, Chartered Surveyors and Regulated Valuers

How Chartered Engineers and Building Engineers can help you

Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

NHBC National House Building Council

Structural Surveys and How We Can Help You

Traditional and Non-Traditional Houses and Mortgage Problems

Valuations and how much is the building worth?

Whats the difference between a Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor and an Independent Surveyor

Useful property problem articles by Chartered Surveyors explaining building issues to avoid

External - Helpful information on building problems on the outside of the property

Chimney issues and problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Flat Roof Problems, how we can solve them

Foundations and Structures and Settlement and Subsidence and Underpinning

Pitched Roofs Problems and Solutions

Roof Problems

Wall Problems

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Internal - House problems we have investigated inside

All you ever need to know about floors

Asbestos in your home, what you need to know

Ceiling Cracks and Structural Problems

Condensation, Damp and Black Mould Problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Woodworm is it a problem or not? Is it active or not?

Services - Building help and advice on costly services

Drainage, what's underground can affect what's above ground

Heating; I just can't get my house warm enough or alternatively I just can't get my house cool enough

You can't mess around with the electric, you need an expert


Commercial Property Services

Building Terms Explained and Directories

Commercial Property Surveys

Commercial Structural Surveys

Leisure Facilites

Offices Large and Small

Shops and Retail

Warehouse and Industrial Buildings

Dilapidations Help and Advice What is a Dilapidations Notice?

A Beginner's Guide to Dilaps

Damp Mould and Condensation

Dampness Rising Damp Mould Black Mould Condensation

Dilapidations and Negotiations

Dilapidations Claim by a Landlord

Energy Saving what can I do?

Finance what is a Financial Adviser (We are not Financial Advisors)

Fire Risk and Help

Health and Safety Risks

Insurance how do I get the correct property insurance?

Landlords Surveying Advice

Property Investment how can I invest in property?

Property TV Reviews by an Independent Surveyor

Schedules of Condition Leasing a Commercial Property

Scotts Schedule and Section 18 Valuation

Tenants Surveying Advice

Weather how does weather affect my property?



Snow and Ice

Strong Winds

Reviews from clients on Commercial Building Surveys

Churches and Charities, helpful reviews from our clients

Industrial Buildings and Warehouses and what our clients say about us

Offices Large and Small, reviews and feedback from our clients

Pubs, Restaurants, Hotels and other Leisure facilities we have surveyed over the years

Shops and Retail, helpful reviews from our clients


First Time Buyers

Buying a Leasehold or Shared Freehold Home

Buying and Selling Houses for the experienced house and home purchaser

First Time Buyers how do I go about buying my first house and home?

Improve your property knowledge with our presentations on house, homes and commercial property

Building Surveys

Building Surveying Useful Information


Dilapidations Presentations in Detail

Final Year Building Surveying Exams for University Students or those that would like to know more

How old is your Building? Which era was it built in?

Party Walls

Surveyors and Design Tools

Disputes and Party Walls

Boundary Disputes

Building and Property Disputes

Party Wall Book Reviews

Party Walls Your Rights and Responsibilities

1stAssociated Surveyors Review for Structural Surveys and Building Surveys

Building Surveys, reviews and feedback from satisfied customers

Buy to let property clients, what they say about our structural surveys

Buying at auction, review of the survey

Buying bungalows and retirement properties and how our surveyors can help

Both at work / busy couples, how we can help and some 1stAssociated client reviews

Families with a young person flying the nest, reviews and feedback

First Time Buyers, what they say about us

Listed buildings, structural surveys

Older buildings, a review of buying an older house

Families with children looking for a new home, feedback and reviews

Buying a Non-Traditional Property

Residential Surveys

House and Home Surveys

Commercial Building Surveys

Commercial Surveys

1st Associated Surveyors Are Also Available in the Following Areas:

East Anglia and East

South and South East

West Country and South West


North and North East



London Markets

London Parks



Areas of Britain

1stAssociated Independent Expert Property Surveyors

Specialists in Home Buyers Reports, Building Surveys and Structural Surveys and Schedules of Condition

All Surveyors are Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors qualified and RICS regulated

and are Members of the Independent Surveyors and Valuers Association

Putting the Client First

We do not accept service of documents by email or fax