building valuations


Shared Freehold and Problems

with Damp


1stAssociated can provide help and advice with regard to damp reports, defects reports, engineers reports, boundary disputes, building surveys, structural surveys, or any other property matters.

We, of course, like to meet you at the property during the survey and we are more than happy to talk to you about the reports. Please free phone 0800 298 5424 for a friendly chat with one of our surveyors.

Free phone 0800 298 5424

We have recently come across a problem which is getting more prolific as shared freeholds take place of leasehold properties.

The problem is twofold. Most shared freeholds have an agreement whereby costs are shared. As there are many elements to the property this could relate to the roof, the gutters, the walls, the windows, the foundations and the drains. Problems occur where property issue doesn't specifically affect the shared freehold owner. For example a leaking roof will affect the top floor flat / apartment but wouldn't affect the ground floor flat / apartment, yet they both should pay in theory equally for the repair work. Likewise, and the issue we are going to discuss here, dampness occurring in the ground floor flats / apartments makes it very unpleasant for the owner of the ground floor flats but doesn't affect other flats / apartments at all and you can therefore be left either living with the problem or the entire bill, particularly if on approaching the other shared freeholder / freeholders they simply say that they don't have any money. We have some suggestions on how to overcome this at the latter part of this article.

The second part of the problem is identifying what the problem is and how to remedy it. In the dampness problem in question the shared freeholders have already sought the opinion of several builders who came up with a range of solutions and a range of prices to these solutions.

The shared Freeholders rightly thought that the builders didn't understand the problems and this we find is often the case were the builder is sorting out and resolving the effect of the problem rather than the cause. There is in a worst case scenario, doing what is easiest for them to do rather then what should be done (or are we becoming cynical in our old age!). Other experts have given opinions as well and a range of suggestions (some of which amongst these are the correct answer!).

The shared freeholders are therefore elected to call us in to give an independent opinion. The basis of our reports is to identify the cause of the problem and offer remedial advice. Often there is a choice of ways to resolve the problem, depending upon how much money you wish to spend and how long you wish the repair to last and then we also look at the effect. In this case the owners were looking to move out of the property and rent it, therefore it was moving from being a home to an investment, which means you need to look at the property slightly differently. Let's have a look at what the builders found and what the damp proof specialists would find.

Unless you are getting independent advice you need to be very careful with the advice that you given. A Rising Damp Specialist for example who is BWPDA approved / registered or in the new name for the BWPDA which is the Property Care Association, generally do not look at the full range of solutions but only ones that their companies carry out. Traditionally this is the insertion of a damp proof course to stop rising damp.

What the Rising Damp Company saw!

The insertion of a Damp Proof Course normally goes hand in hand with the requirements to re plaster internally if you want to obtain their guarantee, which unfortunately is being made almost compulsory by Mortgage Companies. We personally have been involved in an instance where the insistence was to have a damp proof course of several thousand pounds, when in fact the problem related to leaking gutters and downpipes. You should be aware that the damp proof specialist will come armed with electronic damp meters which bleep and make all sorts of frightening sounds to confirm their comments. We would refer you to our other article about dampness not necessarily being a bad thing.


What the Builder saw!

The builder didn't come armed with a damp proof meter but they see literally what you can as the owner (i.e. the flaking paint work on the outside, the deteriorating red brick, the fallen off render and the flaking paintwork!).

The solution in their eyes is to sort out the affect which is to re-point the brick work and to fill the deteriorating bricks in with a cement mortar and then to paint over it (we would add In the majority of cases), not having addressed the real problem, which ironically in this case was also the leaking gutters. This is what we term our looks good for three months solution and you will never find the builder again scenario. We would argue that even the worst of the bad builders can make almost any job look good on day one and in fact for a few months after. However as they haven't resolved the cause of the problem but only the affect, the cause will carry on and the affect will re-appear. Of course the builder will have disappeared by three months or not return your calls or suggest something else which will cost you money. In our opinion it is much better to give money away to a good charity than carry on down this route.


Examining the cause and effect

A good report will look at both the cause of the problem and the affect. Looking at the cause of the problem, it will highlight alternative ways or remedying the cause, sometimes with some approximate costing but at times this is simply not possible to do without possibly misleading the owner. It will also identify how to repair the affect once the cause has been resolved. Sometimes the work will be ongoing and will involve a range of work as the cause could be a combination of issues. In this instance the surveyor should work with you and we always work through the least costly option first!

Examples of Dampness Problems that we have Dealt with in the Past

If you need help and advice with regard to dilapidations claims, schedules of condition, Section 18 valuations or any other matters please call 0800 298 5424. Please note we are independent surveyors.

We hope you found the article of use and if you have any experiences that you feel should be added to this article that would benefit others, or you feel that some of the information that we have put is wrong then please do not hesitate to contact us (we are only human!).

Dampness in Buildings - Basics Article

Dampness in Buildings - Technical Article

Resolving Dampness in your Basement


Dampness Defects Report

Dampness Problems

Please see our section on:

Specific Defects Reports


If you require any information about Dampness in Properties please telephone us for help and advice 0800 298 5424



Home Buyers Reports Property Surveys - why we're the best. Engineers Reports
© Copyright
Site Map

1stassociated-logo-for-footer IVSA-badge IVSA-putting-client-first call-us-for-footer

We have thousands of free property articles to help you - or call us freephone on 0800 298 5424

We have been working in the property industry for many years and have been
providing free property articles for over ten years. All for free and to help you with buying your next property.

House and Home Surveys and Useful Information

All you need to know about Building Surveys

Building Control, what do they do?

Designers and Architects will they save me money or will they cost me money

Enviroment, Your Building and Garden Gnomes

Estate Agents help sell houses and work for the vendors

Have a Structural Survey to protect you against structural problems

Home improvements, builder problems and ideas for you on how to solve them

How a Surveyor values a property, Chartered Surveyors and Regulated Valuers

How Chartered Engineers and Building Engineers can help you

Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

NHBC National House Building Council

Structural Surveys and How We Can Help You

Traditional and Non-Traditional Houses and Mortgage Problems

Valuations and how much is the building worth?

Whats the difference between a Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor and an Independent Surveyor

Useful property problem articles by Chartered Surveyors explaining building issues to avoid

External - Helpful information on building problems on the outside of the property

Chimney issues and problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Flat Roof Problems, how we can solve them

Foundations and Structures and Settlement and Subsidence and Underpinning

Pitched Roofs Problems and Solutions

Roof Problems

Wall Problems

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Internal - House problems we have investigated inside

All you ever need to know about floors

Asbestos in your home, what you need to know

Ceiling Cracks and Structural Problems

Condensation, Damp and Black Mould Problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Woodworm is it a problem or not? Is it active or not?

Services - Building help and advice on costly services

Drainage, what's underground can affect what's above ground

Heating; I just can't get my house warm enough or alternatively I just can't get my house cool enough

You can't mess around with the electric, you need an expert


Commercial Property Services

Building Terms Explained and Directories

Commercial Property Surveys

Commercial Structural Surveys

Leisure Facilites

Offices Large and Small

Shops and Retail

Warehouse and Industrial Buildings

Dilapidations Help and Advice What is a Dilapidations Notice?

A Beginner's Guide to Dilaps

Damp Mould and Condensation

Dampness Rising Damp Mould Black Mould Condensation

Dilapidations and Negotiations

Dilapidations Claim by a Landlord

Energy Saving what can I do?

Finance what is a Financial Adviser (We are not Financial Advisors)

Fire Risk and Help

Health and Safety Risks

Insurance how do I get the correct property insurance?

Landlords Surveying Advice

Property Investment how can I invest in property?

Property TV Reviews by an Independent Surveyor

Schedules of Condition Leasing a Commercial Property

Scotts Schedule and Section 18 Valuation

Tenants Surveying Advice

Weather how does weather affect my property?



Snow and Ice

Strong Winds

Reviews from clients on Commercial Building Surveys

Churches and Charities, helpful reviews from our clients

Industrial Buildings and Warehouses and what our clients say about us

Offices Large and Small, reviews and feedback from our clients

Pubs, Restaurants, Hotels and other Leisure facilities we have surveyed over the years

Shops and Retail, helpful reviews from our clients


First Time Buyers

Buying a Leasehold or Shared Freehold Home

Buying and Selling Houses for the experienced house and home purchaser

First Time Buyers how do I go about buying my first house and home?

Improve your property knowledge with our presentations on house, homes and commercial property

Building Surveys

Building Surveying Useful Information


Dilapidations Presentations in Detail

Final Year Building Surveying Exams for University Students or those that would like to know more

How old is your Building? Which era was it built in?

Party Walls

Surveyors and Design Tools

Disputes and Party Walls

Boundary Disputes

Building and Property Disputes

Party Wall Book Reviews

Party Walls Your Rights and Responsibilities

1stAssociated Surveyors Review for Structural Surveys and Building Surveys

Building Surveys, reviews and feedback from satisfied customers

Buy to let property clients, what they say about our structural surveys

Buying at auction, review of the survey

Buying bungalows and retirement properties and how our surveyors can help

Both at work / busy couples, how we can help and some 1stAssociated client reviews

Families with a young person flying the nest, reviews and feedback

First Time Buyers, what they say about us

Listed buildings, structural surveys

Older buildings, a review of buying an older house

Families with children looking for a new home, feedback and reviews

Buying a Non-Traditional Property

Residential Surveys

House and Home Surveys

Commercial Building Surveys

Commercial Surveys

1st Associated Surveyors Are Also Available in the Following Areas:

East Anglia and East

South and South East

West Country and South West


North and North East



London Markets

London Parks



Areas of Britain

1stAssociated Independent Expert Property Surveyors

Specialists in Home Buyers Reports, Building Surveys and Structural Surveys and Schedules of Condition

All Surveyors are Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors qualified and RICS regulated

and are Members of the Independent Surveyors and Valuers Association

Putting the Client First

We do not accept service of documents by email or fax