building valuations


Dampness in Buildings

Technical Article


The following offers a more technical analysis of dampness within buildings:

A damp substrate is one which contains a level of moisture above that expected under normal environmental conditions, which is about 50% relative humidity'.

There is no such thing as a dry building; indeed you don't want a dry building; materials are meant to be damp to a certain extent. However, it is a rise in this percentage of dampness which is what we generally term as damp', for example:




Typical Moisture Levels that we would consider dry'



Rise in percentage for the materials to be considered damp'




20% plus

Bricks / Mortar



5% plus

Gypsum Plaster



10% plus




70% plus

Density of Material

The density of the material also dictates its dampness, for example bricks are denser than gypsum plaster and therefore can retain more dampness.

Free phone 0800 298 5424

How is Moisture Measured

Conductivity Meter

A conductivity meter, which most surveyors have, often known by its trade name of Protimeter, has two prongs designed for timber readings, so using it in a timber skirting (unless there is salt present) will give an accurate reading. If the conductivity meter is used on anything else but timber it will not give an accurate reading on that material, but based upon timber.

Electromagnetic Solar Pulse Meter

To us surveyors this means the back of the modern Protimeter. This is good for establishing a pattern, as it could be argued the conductivity meter is, when it is used on anything else but timber.

Types of Meter Reading


This can be obtained from a conductivity meter or electromagnetic pulse meter as discussed.


This requires oven drying test or a carbon meter or lab work of some sort for the most accurate meter reading. We would add that a surveyor with a client very keen to understand the condition of his property or a mortgage company requiring advice for a mortgage the time is usually not available and the surveyor will need to make a judgement based upon qualitative type of conductivity meter or the electromagnetic pulse meter.

Different Types of Dampness

Rising damp

Penetrating damp (also known as lateral damp)


Hydroscopic (where contaminated by salts, i.e. plasters)

We would refer you to our article that looks at these sections called Dampness in Buildings - Basics'.

Dampness is Often Condensation

We would advise that condensation is without doubt the most common form of dampness and you should carry out relative humidity meter tests first and look for obvious signs such as water ponding on the window sill! However, there are issues where it is not a clear cut case as to whether there is condensation or not, such as where mould is found within a room, although its location is usually an indicator. For example mould at low level usually indicates condensation as mould is unlikely to grow if the plaster was contaminated with salts, which it would be for rising damp for example.


The final word on condensation and the key message to take away is that the most practicable solution is to increase ventilation.

Destructive Testing is the only way to be certain

We are advised that destructive testing into the plaster is the only way to be certain, as with condensation the plaster gets dryer as you get deeper into it whereas rising damp does not.

This article is taken from, amongst other things, a presentation carried out by Dr Peter Fitzsimons, for which we would like to thank him.


Back to Main Menu of Dampness Articles


For help and advice about Dampness in a building please call us on:0800 298 5424



Home Buyers Reports Property Surveys - why we're the best. Engineers Reports
© Copyright
Site Map

1stassociated-logo-for-footer IVSA-badge IVSA-putting-client-first call-us-for-footer

We have thousands of free property articles to help you - or call us freephone on 0800 298 5424

We have been working in the property industry for many years and have been
providing free property articles for over ten years. All for free and to help you with buying your next property.

House and Home Surveys and Useful Information

All you need to know about Building Surveys

Building Control, what do they do?

Designers and Architects will they save me money or will they cost me money

Enviroment, Your Building and Garden Gnomes

Estate Agents help sell houses and work for the vendors

Have a Structural Survey to protect you against structural problems

Home improvements, builder problems and ideas for you on how to solve them

How a Surveyor values a property, Chartered Surveyors and Regulated Valuers

How Chartered Engineers and Building Engineers can help you

Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

NHBC National House Building Council

Structural Surveys and How We Can Help You

Traditional and Non-Traditional Houses and Mortgage Problems

Valuations and how much is the building worth?

Whats the difference between a Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor and an Independent Surveyor

Useful property problem articles by Chartered Surveyors explaining building issues to avoid

External - Helpful information on building problems on the outside of the property

Chimney issues and problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Flat Roof Problems, how we can solve them

Foundations and Structures and Settlement and Subsidence and Underpinning

Pitched Roofs Problems and Solutions

Roof Problems

Wall Problems

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Internal - House problems we have investigated inside

All you ever need to know about floors

Asbestos in your home, what you need to know

Ceiling Cracks and Structural Problems

Condensation, Damp and Black Mould Problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Woodworm is it a problem or not? Is it active or not?

Services - Building help and advice on costly services

Drainage, what's underground can affect what's above ground

Heating; I just can't get my house warm enough or alternatively I just can't get my house cool enough

You can't mess around with the electric, you need an expert


Commercial Property Services

Building Terms Explained and Directories

Commercial Property Surveys

Commercial Structural Surveys

Leisure Facilites

Offices Large and Small

Shops and Retail

Warehouse and Industrial Buildings

Dilapidations Help and Advice What is a Dilapidations Notice?

A Beginner's Guide to Dilaps

Damp Mould and Condensation

Dampness Rising Damp Mould Black Mould Condensation

Dilapidations and Negotiations

Dilapidations Claim by a Landlord

Energy Saving what can I do?

Finance what is a Financial Adviser (We are not Financial Advisors)

Fire Risk and Help

Health and Safety Risks

Insurance how do I get the correct property insurance?

Landlords Surveying Advice

Property Investment how can I invest in property?

Property TV Reviews by an Independent Surveyor

Schedules of Condition Leasing a Commercial Property

Scotts Schedule and Section 18 Valuation

Tenants Surveying Advice

Weather how does weather affect my property?



Snow and Ice

Strong Winds

Reviews from clients on Commercial Building Surveys

Churches and Charities, helpful reviews from our clients

Industrial Buildings and Warehouses and what our clients say about us

Offices Large and Small, reviews and feedback from our clients

Pubs, Restaurants, Hotels and other Leisure facilities we have surveyed over the years

Shops and Retail, helpful reviews from our clients


First Time Buyers

Buying a Leasehold or Shared Freehold Home

Buying and Selling Houses for the experienced house and home purchaser

First Time Buyers how do I go about buying my first house and home?

Improve your property knowledge with our presentations on house, homes and commercial property

Building Surveys

Building Surveying Useful Information


Dilapidations Presentations in Detail

Final Year Building Surveying Exams for University Students or those that would like to know more

How old is your Building? Which era was it built in?

Party Walls

Surveyors and Design Tools

Disputes and Party Walls

Boundary Disputes

Building and Property Disputes

Party Wall Book Reviews

Party Walls Your Rights and Responsibilities

1stAssociated Surveyors Review for Structural Surveys and Building Surveys

Building Surveys, reviews and feedback from satisfied customers

Buy to let property clients, what they say about our structural surveys

Buying at auction, review of the survey

Buying bungalows and retirement properties and how our surveyors can help

Both at work / busy couples, how we can help and some 1stAssociated client reviews

Families with a young person flying the nest, reviews and feedback

First Time Buyers, what they say about us

Listed buildings, structural surveys

Older buildings, a review of buying an older house

Families with children looking for a new home, feedback and reviews

Buying a Non-Traditional Property

Residential Surveys

House and Home Surveys

Commercial Building Surveys

Commercial Surveys

1st Associated Surveyors Are Also Available in the Following Areas:

East Anglia and East

South and South East

West Country and South West


North and North East



London Markets

London Parks



Areas of Britain

1stAssociated Independent Expert Property Surveyors

Specialists in Home Buyers Reports, Building Surveys and Structural Surveys and Schedules of Condition

All Surveyors are Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors qualified and RICS regulated

and are Members of the Independent Surveyors and Valuers Association

Putting the Client First

We do not accept service of documents by email or fax