building valuations


Homebuyers Report versus Building Survey?



Have you had a hard day?

Wondering whether to have a house survey?

Read More about how we can help You




Are You wondering whether to have a house survey?


Most people book their surveys as one of the last things they do when they are buying a house (unless they have had a bad experience when buying a house and then its often one of the first things they do).  We are Surveyors and have surveyed most types of properties over the years and are experienced property experts.  We are Independent Surveyors and are not  owned by Estate Agents or Banks or Building Societies or Mortgage Companies – you will be surprised just how many Surveyors are (we believe the percentage is over 90%).  We suggest you ask the following questions:-

Can you trust the Estate Agent's advice?

Can you trust the Estate Agent particularly when they say you don’t need a survey or worst still the Estate Agent calls the Valuation being carried out by the mortgage company a Survey!  Remember most Estate Agents are owned by Banks and Building Societies and other Mortgage lending companies.

Free phone

0800 298 5424

For a free survey quote

Things to remember about Estate Agents

Estate Agents work for the person who is selling the property (vendor) - do not mistakenly think that Estate Agents are trying to find you a property they are not they are trying to sell all the properties that they have on their books.

If you read the small print in most Valuation Reports and Estate Agents details they state that they are not Building Surveyors and you cannot take them to court regarding anything they say.  The Law understands this – the term Caveat Emptor, which is Latin for Buyer Beware, effectively protects the Estate Agent and means that you as the buyer will need to get your own building survey.

Which type of survey should I have?

Homebuyers Report versus a Full Structural Survey?

There are many websites out there giving many explanations on the different types of surveys.  We would describe the Homebuyers Report as a tick list being carried out by a non-specialist Surveyor who is also carrying out a Valuation.

A Full Structural Survey is carried out by a specialist Building Surveyor who identifies the property problems, gives you solutions as well as the costs and much more.

The best bet is to ring up the Surveyors that you are thinking about using and ask for a sample report so you can see what you are buying.

We always recommend a Full Structural Survey.

We can almost hear you saying that your Surveyors say that we would say this – we do genuinely mean this.

Ring us up for an example survey 0800 298 5424

We believe that we can give you an example survey of nearly every age, type and style of property.  An example survey is well worth looking at as it shows you the type of survey that you will receive with our Full Structural Survey.

How do I book a survey?

It's easy either:-

Free phone 0800 298 5424

or fill in our no obligation Quick Quote form




All rights reserved by

All rights are reserved the contents of the website is not to be reproduced or transmitted in any form in whole or part without the express written permission of







Home Buyers Reports Property Surveys - why we're the best. Engineers Reports
© Copyright
Site Map

1stassociated-logo-for-footer IVSA-badge IVSA-putting-client-first call-us-for-footer

We have thousands of free property articles to help you - or call us freephone on 0800 298 5424

We have been working in the property industry for many years and have been
providing free property articles for over ten years. All for free and to help you with buying your next property.

House and Home Surveys and Useful Information

All you need to know about Building Surveys

Building Control, what do they do?

Designers and Architects will they save me money or will they cost me money

Enviroment, Your Building and Garden Gnomes

Estate Agents help sell houses and work for the vendors

Have a Structural Survey to protect you against structural problems

Home improvements, builder problems and ideas for you on how to solve them

How a Surveyor values a property, Chartered Surveyors and Regulated Valuers

How Chartered Engineers and Building Engineers can help you

Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

NHBC National House Building Council

Structural Surveys and How We Can Help You

Traditional and Non-Traditional Houses and Mortgage Problems

Valuations and how much is the building worth?

Whats the difference between a Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor and an Independent Surveyor

Useful property problem articles by Chartered Surveyors explaining building issues to avoid

External - Helpful information on building problems on the outside of the property

Chimney issues and problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Flat Roof Problems, how we can solve them

Foundations and Structures and Settlement and Subsidence and Underpinning

Pitched Roofs Problems and Solutions

Roof Problems

Wall Problems

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Internal - House problems we have investigated inside

All you ever need to know about floors

Asbestos in your home, what you need to know

Ceiling Cracks and Structural Problems

Condensation, Damp and Black Mould Problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Woodworm is it a problem or not? Is it active or not?

Services - Building help and advice on costly services

Drainage, what's underground can affect what's above ground

Heating; I just can't get my house warm enough or alternatively I just can't get my house cool enough

You can't mess around with the electric, you need an expert


Commercial Property Services

Building Terms Explained and Directories

Commercial Property Surveys

Commercial Structural Surveys

Leisure Facilites

Offices Large and Small

Shops and Retail

Warehouse and Industrial Buildings

Dilapidations Help and Advice What is a Dilapidations Notice?

A Beginner's Guide to Dilaps

Damp Mould and Condensation

Dampness Rising Damp Mould Black Mould Condensation

Dilapidations and Negotiations

Dilapidations Claim by a Landlord

Energy Saving what can I do?

Finance what is a Financial Adviser (We are not Financial Advisors)

Fire Risk and Help

Health and Safety Risks

Insurance how do I get the correct property insurance?

Landlords Surveying Advice

Property Investment how can I invest in property?

Property TV Reviews by an Independent Surveyor

Schedules of Condition Leasing a Commercial Property

Scotts Schedule and Section 18 Valuation

Tenants Surveying Advice

Weather how does weather affect my property?



Snow and Ice

Strong Winds

Reviews from clients on Commercial Building Surveys

Churches and Charities, helpful reviews from our clients

Industrial Buildings and Warehouses and what our clients say about us

Offices Large and Small, reviews and feedback from our clients

Pubs, Restaurants, Hotels and other Leisure facilities we have surveyed over the years

Shops and Retail, helpful reviews from our clients


First Time Buyers

Buying a Leasehold or Shared Freehold Home

Buying and Selling Houses for the experienced house and home purchaser

First Time Buyers how do I go about buying my first house and home?

Improve your property knowledge with our presentations on house, homes and commercial property

Building Surveys

Building Surveying Useful Information


Dilapidations Presentations in Detail

Final Year Building Surveying Exams for University Students or those that would like to know more

How old is your Building? Which era was it built in?

Party Walls

Surveyors and Design Tools

Disputes and Party Walls

Boundary Disputes

Building and Property Disputes

Party Wall Book Reviews

Party Walls Your Rights and Responsibilities

1stAssociated Surveyors Review for Structural Surveys and Building Surveys

Building Surveys, reviews and feedback from satisfied customers

Buy to let property clients, what they say about our structural surveys

Buying at auction, review of the survey

Buying bungalows and retirement properties and how our surveyors can help

Both at work / busy couples, how we can help and some 1stAssociated client reviews

Families with a young person flying the nest, reviews and feedback

First Time Buyers, what they say about us

Listed buildings, structural surveys

Older buildings, a review of buying an older house

Families with children looking for a new home, feedback and reviews

Buying a Non-Traditional Property

Residential Surveys

House and Home Surveys

Commercial Building Surveys

Commercial Surveys

1st Associated Surveyors Are Also Available in the Following Areas:

East Anglia and East

South and South East

West Country and South West


North and North East



London Markets

London Parks



Areas of Britain

1stAssociated Independent Expert Property Surveyors

Specialists in Home Buyers Reports, Building Surveys and Structural Surveys and Schedules of Condition

All Surveyors are Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors qualified and RICS regulated

and are Members of the Independent Surveyors and Valuers Association

Putting the Client First

We do not accept service of documents by email or fax