Adlingfleet is a small village/parish in the district of Goole. It is about 10 miles south east from Goole and lies between the rivers Ouse and Trent. The parish also included Haldenby, Fockerby and Eastoft. It was once surrounded by marsh land and was also a major port ferrying soldiers to fight against the Scots. The importance of the ports changed when Vermuyden, a Dutch Engineer drained the area around the villages making the land more able for farming.
Today Adlingfleet is a quiet place to live, the once busy Cross Keys Inn (famous for its pies and peas) is now closed, but it is a beautiful place to visit and fantastic cycling area.
Airmyn is large village which has a dominating feature of a clock tower that stands on a bend in the road. It was built in 1866 to commemorate the 2 nd Earl of Beverley as he had paid for a school to be built in the village. It has a pretty church which was built in the early 14 th century and later extended in the late 17 th century. Airmyn also had a small Port that was founded in the 13 th century and along with that a Ferry was established, the ferry is still there today although not in use for the general public.
Hugh Smithson of Hull purchased Airmyn in 1656 so that he could develop its port and under his leadership and co-operation from merchants who were responsible for the Aire and Calder Navigation, this bought commercial prosperity to Airmyn for nearly a century. In 1744 land was bought by the Aire and Calder Navigation, they built warehouses, cranes and wharves, so by 1765 ships of up to 100 tons were being built here. Airmyn port was also a place for moving cargoes from sea going ships to vessels more suited to working up river. With the building of two new canals, one on the River Ouse, Leeds Selby, (this made the Ouse the best way to trade with the West Riding towns) and then the Goole Knottingley canal and its development of the Port of Goole ending the goals of the more inland ports.
By the beginning of the 19 th century the Port of Airmyn had become but a memory but as with many Yorkshire villages they prospered by having benevolent Land Lords with the land passing down the generations. They made many improvements to the village especially with the installation of pipes that supplied spring water to the village with four stand pipes, making it the first village in this area to have piped water.
Today Airmyn has two outside threats, the constant rising of the river, the threat from the high tides demanding higher wall defences, and the steady growth of Goole. Despite all of this Airmyn is considered to be one the prettiest villages in this area with the beautiful clock tower, a Village Shop, Post Office, Pub, School, Church and Ferry.
Allerthorpe is situated about 13 miles east of York, south of the York-Hull main road, and is part of the Parish of Pocklington. It is widely known for its common which can be traced back to 1086, and through the centuries house holders of Allerthorpe had the right to pasture the animals on the common and to cut turves once a year. They were also allowed to take wood from the common under the supervision of lawmen. There is also a 15 acre nature reserve which was established in 1965.
The house formerly known as Allerthorpe Hall was built between 1802 and 1809, a large house of three storeys, and was built on the site of the old 18 th century house and was extended during the 19 th century. It was known as the Lodge initially and then used as a boarding school and by the 1950s it was divided into individual dwellings.
Allerthorpe has a Golf Club which started out as a 9 hole course in 1994 but has gradually developed into a 18 hole course. It is also home to the Allerthorpe Lakeland Park which is set in about 50 acres of lakes and grounds and offers water sports, a campsite and a café for all to enjoy.
Bainton is situated about six miles south-west of Driffield, 10 miles north-west of Beverley. Its parish includes itself and Neswick, and is in an elevated position on eastern side the Wolds and has several springs running into it. There is a church which is dedicated to St Andrew dating back to 1250 and is known as the Cathedral of the Wolds. It is a popular place to visit, creating much revenue in the area.
Beverley is situated about six miles north of Hull and was once the capital of East Riding of Yorkshire. The town grew around the minster church and became a place of great importance and wealth around the reign of Queen Elizabeth I.
Most of the towns' buildings date back to the Georgian and Victorian times but there is also a building dating back to the medieval times, the North Bar, this was once part of four Bars, stone gates that surrounded the town, where merchants would have to pay tolls to bring their goods into the town.
In the 15 th century Beverley was famous for brick and tile making, it had a large leather industry along with butchers, potters and coopers but was most famous for its cloth industry.
The Market place is home to a weekly Saturday market and still has a market cross which dates back to the 1700s, this is supported by 8 columns.
Beverley was late in getting modern facilities, piped water supplies began in 1883 but sewers did not come until 1889. Because of the lack of sanitation the town had many epidemics and so a Cottage Hospital was built to help cope with this. Finally because of a typhoid epidemic, the piped water and sewers were connected which helped prevent any further out breaks.
In the mid 1900s the town suffered because of the recessions that were sweeping Britain, unemployment was very high, but Beverley recovered and today is mainly a dormitory town for Hull.
Bridlington has evidence that its history dates back to the Bronze Age, with articles being found nearby. There has also been evidence of Romans having settled here along with Vikings, many name places have a strong Viking influence.
The Bridlington of today derives from the inland area centred on and around the Priory and the area of the harbour and seafront, which only joined together reasonably recently.
Bridlington came into its own with the rise of tourism in Britain, it opened its first hotel, The George Hotel in 1805 and from this the seaside part of the town developed rapidly, attracting the tourists. With the extension of the railway in 1846 and then with the link to Scarborough, a very popular place to visit, in 1847 its popularity grew further. In 1848 the completed South Pier was unveiled, and in 1896 there was the introduction of Donkey rides on the sands for visitors to enjoy. A new North Pier was completed in 1904.
In the 1990s many new projects were completed, a Spa Promenade, the Link Golf Club, the Beside the Seaside Museum and the refurbishment of the high street. Later in the early 21 st century the Harbour Heritage Museum opened, there was a refurbishment of the Spa Theatre, promotion of the Old Town as a heritage quarter and the refurbishment of the Promenade.
Bridlington today is still a thriving seaside town with much to be proud of.
Broomfleet is a very small village situated on the north bank of the river Humber between the canals of Brough and Market Weighton, just 15 miles north of Scunthorpe.
It has a friendly pub, a well kept church, a modern village hall, where many social and educational events are held, a post office and a village store. There is no resident doctor, police, vicar, garage or café and the neighbouring villages are at least three miles away. There is no public transport, schools or much employment so people have to travel for employment and education.
The village does have its attractions, especially those seeking the quiet countryside, amateur fishing in the summer and is an all year haven for the thousands of river birds that are attracted to the abundance of food and peace.
New homes are being built, with a number of outsiders wanting to choose to live in this isolated community, which brings hope for the future of the village and its continued success.
Burstwick is an out of the way village in the East Yorkshire area, with only visitors likely to happen upon it. It is thriving village with a primary school, two pubs, a shop, a chippie and a church, All Saints. Around the village are the villages of Ottringham and Kevingham with their old windmills, and perhaps the biggest attraction to the area is Spurn Head, with its reserve and nature trail.
Cottingham is situated between the city of Kingston Upon Hull and the market town Beverley and is supposedly the largest village in England. It is a very pretty place with a shopping centre and local shops and facilities, with busy, vibrant community which is no surprise due the amount of people and the size of the village. It has great rail links to and from Hull so is very accessible.
There are many things to do and see locally with good pubs and cafes which provide some great food and beverages. Just outside of Cottingham is the Skidby windmill, a great place to visit and if you time your day well you can see it working and buy some flour.
Cranswick is linked to the village Hutton and are known officially as Hutton Cranswick, although locally they retain their own postal addresses. Cranswick has a green of about 6 1/2 acres which was originally used for grazing cattle and owned by Lord Hotham. In the late 19 th century the land became common land and then in 1976 it and the surrounding areas became a Conservation area.
It has great public transport links so many commuters find this an attractive place to live. Local facilities are good and the local community are encouraged to keep the village looking at its best.
Dunnington is situated 4 miles east of York and dates back to the Neolithic and Bronze ages. Today it is linked to the close by village of Grimston and these two villages are situated on a ridge way that runs from the Wolds to the city of York. It has a great Roman influence in the village with an alter being discovered on the common during the 19 th century and a road running north of Donnington, this is now part of the main road to the coast. Another ran to the south which is now part of the Beverley to York road.
Today there is a scattered collection of houses along the York to Beverley road and other roads, with some local shops and a public house called the Windmill Inn.
Driffield is situated just 13 miles from Beverley, 12 miles from Bridlington, 22 miles from Hull and 30 miles from York. It is a market town which lies at the foot of the Wolds and is at the start of the river Hull, which is formed from a number of streams which run throughout the neighbourhood. There is a large carpet and linen manufacturer about three miles south of the town in Wansford and several big flour mills which get motion for their machinery from the streams nearby. With the central situation of the village and its access to the rivers for transporting its crops to both the north and the south of England and the fact that the crops can be grown easily here because of the fertile soil, during the last half of the 19 th century the corn trade increased tenfold.
Driffield is a great place from where you can explore the Wolds and the coastline of East Yorkshire, it has many fine buildings from all periods such as the Bell Hotel which dates back to 1742 and the parish church, All Saints which is even older.
Eastrington is a predominately agricultural village and remains so today although most people leave the village to work elsewhere and several areas now have houses built on them. It has just the one shop which combines groceries and a post office but has the market town of Howden just 4 miles away.
There is a school which has been there since 1722 which was originally left by Joseph Hewley, there was a house for the teacher, a barn used to school the children and some land where the rent from could pay the teacher. It became a board school in the 19 th century but has now been replaced by a newer building that was built in the 1960s.
With the railways being built in the late 19 th century it bought many changes to Eastrington, making transportation of produce and crops easy to other parts of the county but also making it easy for the villagers to travel to such places as Hull and Leeds, also giving employment to many men in the village. Only the Hull to Selby line remains providing a regular service for passengers.
Flamborough is on the North East Coast by the North Sea and the village is governed by the East Riding of Yorkshire but the location is a diocese of York and North Yorkshire.
There are two lighthouses at Flamborough Head and the original was thought to have the first lighthouse to be built in England, it was built in 1669 but today sits unused and closed to visitors. The current one was constructed in 1806 and is 85ft high. It is still in use, warning ships of the treacherous cliffs and obstacles. The lighthouse originally used oil for power but was updated to use electricity in the 1940s. It had a keeper up until 1996 but was then made to work on autopilot.
The village today is relatively unchanged from centuries ago apart from the roads which are now properly surfaced. The places to visit are the church, castle stump and the signs of medieval fishponds near the main road which leads into the village. The prime attraction is the chalk cliffs that tower over the North Sea which are home to millions of birds that nest in them mainly around spring and summer. In amongst the cliffs are caves and sandy and rocky inlets that also attract thousands of tourists and have done since tourism began.
Fridaythorpe is one of the highest villages in the Wolds, standing at 500 feet above sea level providing a fantastic view on a clear day. With the horse shoe of houses aptly named Wolds View because the beautiful view of Yorkshire they provide it is a spectacular spot to visit. It is easy to access as the Driffield to York road, the busy A166, passes through the village.
In the village there is a butchers' shop, a garage which provides fuel and has a shop and newsagents attached. There is the Manor House Inn and Restaurant, which has been modernised extensively and has fantastic catering and accommodation. There is a new housing estate that was built in 2001, sadly replacing the Cross Keys Pub which was demolished to make way for this.
There is a mill, once known as the Fridaythorpe Mill, which is very busy and provides much needed work for the locals.
Garton-on-the-Wolds is a peaceful village in the middle of the Wolds, there is a Main Street which has a pond with a large quantity of different ducks, the Weslyan Chapel that was built in 1894 but now stands empty and the Methodist Church which was constructed in 1871 is used by the village joiner as a workshop. The War Memorial is on the corner of Station Road along with the school and there is also a place called Woodford House well known for its crafts, flowers and herbs. There was a pub, The Venture Inn, which is now closed and has been converted into a house.
Garton on the Wolds is famous for the St Michaels and All Angels Church, a church built in 1132 and stands on a rise above the village, which fantastic views over the Wolds. It is a very popular tourist attraction helping keep Garton on the Wold on the map.
Goole is a flat part of the countryside that has lots of canals, dykes, windmills and willows which are part of the town's everyday life. It has one of the most notable ports in England and it's the farthest inland port, some 50 miles from the sea. Goole also makes paper and has engineering and chemical works. The Water Tower in Goole is the largest in England, 145 feet high and can hold up to 3/4s of a million gallons of water.
There is a bridge that links it to Hook over the river Ouse, this weighs 670 tons and is 830 feet long. It has a movable section that can open in less than one minute. There are many war memorials commemorating the hero's who came from this town.
The main history of Goole began with the diversion of the river Don so that it flowed into the river Ouse instead of the river Aire to help stop the land from flooding. This was instructed by the King and engineered by a Dutch man called Vermuyden allowing the land surrounding Goole to become habitable. In the early 1800s a canal was built between Leeds and Goole enabling the transportation of goods to other parts of the world, with this various shipping lines set up business here ensuring plenty of work for people both on the docks and in their offices in the town. With the railways being built a few decades later and the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway also using the port at an outlet to the North Sea, Goole prospered further still. The engineers Stanhope, Bartholomew and Aldham made new ways to improve efficiency at the docks by developing the coal hoists, allowing small barges to be lifted from the water with their goods and loading onto a waiting ship. These were used until the mid 1970s but now there is only one of the five original still remaining and this is a listed building. At the very peak of Goole's industrial era it was a rival to even Hull, there were passenger ferries to Europe and the world along with steam packet services to Hull and York. A thriving town came of this with municipal parks being built, three cinemas, lots of pubs, two theatres and a successful football team being established.
Today there are still some independent traders in Goole along with the larger chain stores that we all know.
Harpham is a peaceful village in the Wolds, just a mile from the busy A166. It is the site of an ancient Manor, which is now just mounds and ridges on the land. There is the Well of St John which is said to have healing powers and it is on the outskirts of the village. The Church of St John of Beverley is small by church standards but attracts many visitors every year. Harpham has a thriving community who enjoy the peace of their village while having the easy access of the larger towns nearby.
Hornsea was mainly and agricultural place and was once known as a market centre, although this declined at the beginning of the 19 th century. It held two fairs, one around the 13 th of August and one around the 17 th December and a hiring fair for farm workers, this was held on the first Monday after the 11 th November. Hornsea became very popular for sea bathing which mainly middle class visitors were attracted to.
The opening of the rail link to Hull in 1864 made Hornsea an accessible place to get to taking just about 45 mins. Many middle class commuters opted to stay here increasing the population and increasing the number of shop keepers selling their goods.
Today Hornsea boasts many shops, restaurants, cafes and entertainment venues for all to enjoy along with lots of leisure activities and long walks.
Howden is an historic market town and in the 19 th century, they had a Horse Fair that took place in the market square and this was known throughout Europe. People would travel great distances to buy horses for the countries forces. A market is still held every Friday selling local goods and produce.
Howden has many local attractions such as the impressive church that can be seen from the M62, the Bishops Manor, which once held fairs annually in its grounds and is still used for summer concerts today, Howden Marsh, a local nature reserve, the Fruit house that stands on an arched stone bridge above a moat, the Ashes Cricket and two Bowling Greens, these were originally part of the manor but donated to the people of Howden in 1925. Alongside the bowling greens are some multi use games areas providing lots of different sporting facilities including tennis and basket ball.
Hull is situated where the river Hull joins the river Humber, some 20 miles from the sea. It is a large town and is the 3 rd biggest port in England, Liverpool and London being bigger. During the Second World War Hull suffered a lot of bombing so many new buildings had to be built to replace the old and today Hull has links with Europe with important Sea Ferry routes to Zeebrugge and Rotterdam.
Originally a small settlement called Wyke that became a town in the late 1200s after King Edward I purchased it from the abbot of Meaux, he renamed it Kingston-Upon-Hull. This historic name has been kept although it is mainly known as just Hull. The King saw the full potential of Hull as a site for a harbour so granted the town its first charter and the harbour was developed.
There is an area of Hull which is known as the Old Town, here many of the narrow alley ways and streets date back to medieval times and these streets included Silver Street, Postern Gate, Black Friar Gate, Manor Street, the Market Place and High Street. Another notable building is the Guildhall which is the town hall in Hull, originally located on the south side of the market place but now located on the north end of the market place. Although originally a town, in 1891 Hull was granted city status.
Kilham is situated in the Yorkshire Wolds and was once considered an important market town and the main centre of the Wolds. It had a large population, a large amount of businesses and held yearly trading fairs. It was larger and more important than Driffield but with the new canal for moving goods, Driffield grew in size and importance as Kilhams declined.
Today Kilham still has a few businesses such as a Post Office, Village Shop, Butchers, Fish and Chip Shop, pubs, an antique shop and an arts and craft shop along with an engineering and machinery business making the village a vibrant place to live.
Kilham has just one school and church that hosts a yearly flower festival attracting people year after year.
Langtoft is situated at a bottom of a dale in the Yorkshire Wolds with the busy B1248 running through the narrow main street. It is well known for the unusual weather conditions in the past and is known to flood when it rains heavily. In Back Street there is a commemorative plaque because of floods they had in 1657 and 1892.
The properties in Langtoft are a mixture of old and new, with many of the old being well restored and the new ones having used bricks from original houses. The village has its own school, outdoor bowling green, two churches, a pub and restaurant called the Old Mill.
Market Weighton is a market town in the Wolds that lies between Hull and York. It became a market town in the 13 th century and had weekly markets every Thursday and also had annual fairs in September which were said to have been one of the greatest sheep fairs, selling as many as 70,000 animals in one day. Today the market is held on a Friday with a monthly Saturday market for Local Producers.
The coming of the railways in the 19 th century increased the prosperity of the town as it became an important junction for the Driffield, Beverley, York and Selby lines. This closed in the 1960s and the only evidence of its being there is the Hudson Way footpath and bridal way which traces the route to Beverley.
In 1991 a bypass was opened so that traffic would be taken away from the town centre thus making it safe for residents and visitors to cross the main street.
Nafferton is a large parish situated at the foot of the Yorkshire Wolds and is a designated conservation area. This is due to the number of historical features and properties in the village many dating back to the 18 th century, a large number have been restored but there are also quite a few new properties.
The Mere, once a mill pond that supplied water power to mills on the south east bank, is the focal point in the village. There is also the All Saints Church which stands on a rise in the village, two schools, one a preparatory school the other a primary, a Post Office, newsagents, supermarket, fish and chip shop, four pubs and a coal merchants.
Pocklington was mainly an agricultural town that lay between two roman roads and surrounded by marshes. In the 11 th century corn milling began because of the readily available water supply this also helped the growing woollen industry. With this industry came wealthy merchants who came to live and trade in the town. Other industries were the malting and brewing industry which was fed by the barley crops grown easily in the Wolds. Cattle raising and butchering and trades associated with that also became a source of employment in the town keeping Pocklington an independent town.
Pocklington grew and expanded in trade and population throughout the middle ages and into the 19 th century. With the canal being built in the early 1800s, just one mile outside the town, it bought goods into the town as well Pocklington traders being able to send their goods for sale to other towns and villages.
With the First and Second World Wars Pocklington saw many changes and it played an important part in the Second World War because of the five airfields nearby.
Pocklington today has had a rapid expansion of the town bringing in people who wish to live here and commute to the larger towns and cities. There is much for people to see and do, with its famous National Collection of Hardy Water Lilies in Burnby Hall Gardens, its art centre that provides a range of entertainment from comedy clubs, live music, film screenings, theatrical and musical performances and of course art exhibitions, a quirky coffee house and tea room which is known for its fresh homemade snacks and afternoon teas, a Italian restaurant, delightful country walks and is ideal for exploring the surrounding areas.
Sewerby is situated on the cliff tops overlooking the Briddlington Bay and is home to Sewerby Hall which has over 50 acres of landscaped gardens and includes a children's zoo, a golf course, putting green, bowling green and a rose garden. The hall was opened to the public in 1936 by Amy Johnson but was converted to a hospital during WWII.
Sewerby has an array of things to see and do, with many shops, pubs, restaurants, cafes and entertainment venues.
Skipsea is a village in the Yorkshire Wolds along the B1249 surrounded by rich agricultural land but is still close to the cliffs and the North Sea. This is a thriving village that has its own Post Office, a Village Store, a Fish and Chip Shop, Tea Room, petrol and service station, a pub, a primary school and has ample accommodation for visitors. Just outside of the village there are the remains of Skipsea castle that was built in 1086 and is the finest example of a motte and bailey left in England. All that is left is a grass mound with shrubs and trees growing on it, the motte is 11 metres high and the bailey covers 8 acres of land.
The houses of Skipsea are new and old. Using cobbles from the shores for both the brickwork of the exterior of the house as well as for the brick walls.
Sledmere is a pretty village that nestles in amongst the rolling hills of the Yorkshire Wolds and is situated between Malton and Driffield on the B1251 road. It is most noted for the stately home Sledmere House, which is occupied by Sir Tatton Sykes, a beautiful house standing in beautiful grounds.
Sledmere also has a monument that stands 120 feet high and is situated on the B1251 high on Garton Hill being visible for miles around.
Many of the houses in the village are owned by the Sledmere Estate and many of the villagers are employed on the estate. The houses are characteristic, from the terraced rows to the semi detached cottages, making the village look that one of an English Cottage garden. With this serene beauty and the marvellous surrounding country side make this a picturesque and quiet place to live in and visit.
Withernsea is a Yorkshires most southerly coastal resort which is situated to the east of Hull. It is most noted for its Lighthouse which stands in the middle of the town and stands 127 feet high with 144 steps leading to the lamp room. It was built between 1892 and 1894 and the base houses the RNLI and HM Coastguard exhibits, models and photos depicting the history of the area. There is a wide promenade where the refurbished Pier Towers are located; they once marked the entrance to the pier which was built in 1877. This was gradually reduced in size as local vessels kept impacting them and the last section finally removed in the 1930s.
Spurn Head, which is to the south of Withernsea is a long curving hook of sand and shingle that juts into the mouth of the Humber, is home to thousands of birds that migrate to this spot in spring and autumn. It is a Nature Reserve and visitors can see seals and butterflies as well as the birds.